Corrado Tech Forum

91 G60 auto trans, no 1st gear

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

srhea Avatar
srhea Stan R
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
car runs great, just seems to not engage first gear {automatic transmission} will not get into first gear manually either in the cab or at the linkage under the hood.
Anybody experience this issue and what is the solution.
i am dropping the trans pan to see if there is a clue there

thanks,
Stan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dbdedel David Dedel
Vancouver, Canada   CAN
I've had this problem for almost two years and it very surprising because my car ran only for 50,000 kilometers. You may want to try the following procedure. I don't understand this, i only followed the advise of other Corrado car owners.
Throttle Adaptation Procedure
1. Turn key on
2. Press gas pedal to floor for 50 seconds
3. Release gas pedal
4. Start car while touching nothing

OR

Reset Transmission ECU
1. Key on (don’t start, just turn the igniton key to on position)
2. Gas down to floor for 15 seconds
3. While holding gas, turn key off
4. Let go of gas
5. Key on (again don’t start) for 5 min touching nothing
6. Then start while touching nothing
7. Drive
If this doesn't work then i could guide you to a step step procedure of replacing the solenoid and solenoid wires. It's what really solved the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-25 12:22 PM by dbdedel.

srhea Avatar
srhea Stan R
David,

Thanks for the write up.
I have narrowed it down to an adjustment to the linkage at the transmission shift lever/ shift cable.
She accelerates from a standstill quite well now.

thanks again,
Stan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dbdedel David Dedel
Vancouver, Canada   CAN
You're most welcome Stan, i'm glad you were able to resolve this matter quickly. I was actually apprehensive about what i posted because you mentioned that you could not shift manually to first gear and i realized that what i shared was not the solution to your problem. At any rate, i admire you for your interest and determination in working with your car. Have a good day.

srhea Avatar
srhea Stan R
David

I thank you for your responses

looks like you also have a 91 corrado.

My wife purchased her 91 from one of her customers.91 g60, auto transmission. 120,000 miles

It sat outside for a few years uncovered, under the fir trees.I have been chasing down electrical gremlins since we trailered it home two years ago.

It now has a new fuse/ relay panel. Most all relays replaced.I am in the process of rebuilding the G charger , replacing all rubber hoses on all systems ie: fuel
coolant, charge air,vacuum, brakes etc.

The door cards have been warped slightly from sitting outside in the rain.We need to either purchase good items for the interior, or try to steam/ form these back into shape.

Any part sources you may want to share would be greatly appreciated! New or used.

thank you,
Stan

dbdedel David Dedel
Vancouver, Canada   CAN
Thank you for your email Stan, i'm usually at Bellingham twice a month. Nice to know that within the immediate area is also a Corrado enthusiast. It's exciting to meet someone who has common interest. When i come back from the Far East i hope we would have the opportunity to meet. Regarding your query you might want to try the following link:
david

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?826-Corrado-Parts

RedlineRacingPA Devin Brown
Pittsburgh, Pennslyvania, USA   USA
If you ever need a spare auto tranny for the g60 I have one

srhea Avatar
srhea Stan R
Thank you, it is not in the budget right at the moment.
just dumped money into the g-charger and alot more.

i'll get with you if we have a need,

thanks, Stan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1991 Volkswagen Corrado

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links