Corrado Tech Forum

Engine won't start intermitten problem

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mckenzy Wolf Avatar
Mckenzy Wolf Wilfredo Ruiz
Clover, South Carolina, USA   USA
Hello to all:

I am posting this item because it is something someone might come across in the future and this might help.

A while back i got my car running and i have been taking it to work well on my way back from work the car started to buck and sputter. as soon as i arrive to my drive way the engine quit.

So i have the manual and i started to check everything per the manual and then i notice while i was checking the fuel relay, terminal 6 to ground, terminal 2 to ground and terminal 2 to 3 and all check good. so I decided to crank the engine and the motor starter and it was running great. so i said well what would happen if I just pull the fuel relay so i did and the engine continued to run. i was puzzled. so i jump straight to the connector on the pump and while the engine was running i pull the power of the pump and it continued to run smooth, accelerated and ran as normal then i realized that the pump should be audible when it runs.

So i plugged it and i could barely hear a faint gargle noise from the pump. I unplugged it and the engine continued to run with no hitch. i believe that once the fuel is in the line and there is no air pockets the fuel behaves like syphoning water from a tank down to am bucket if the flow begins it will continue until the flow is broken.

I believe the pump is barely putting some fuel on the line and the engine is doing the rest. So i completely bled the built pressure on the line and the engine did not start. i plug the pump back up and i can barely hear or even feel that the pump is working. so i have placed a pump and level assembly on order and hope to get it soon.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
pump.jpg    27.4 KB
pump.jpg

Mckenzy Wolf Avatar
Mckenzy Wolf Wilfredo Ruiz
Clover, South Carolina, USA   USA
Well I got the pump and installed and it works perfectly. It took me a while to figure this one but I am happy.
the replacement of the pump is very simple so it should not take more than 30 minutes to change.

Expect to pay around $79.00 and up. but it is a complete assembly including the fuel level sensor.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1990 Volkswagen Corrado

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links